A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2010 Ford F150 4 wheel drive. I have been getting

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ford F150***** I have been getting chatter from the IWE so I replaced the actuators and the solenoid. Still had the chatter under load. Checked vacuum on the main vac line to the actuators and that was fine. found a small section of the return hose was missing so I replaced that . Still have the chatter. Tested the vacuum on the whole IWE system and it held. Cant figure out what is going on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

Are you getting it from both front wheels or just one side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't be for sure but sounds like driver side.

The odd thing about these hubs and the way they work is, there is vacuum applied to the hubs when in 4x2 and vacuum is removed when in 4x4. I have seen the hubs leak vacuum causing the noise and also the hub itself fail can cause the ratcheting noise while driving.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The weird thing is I just replaced both actuators and they hold vacuum with a pump. Does the return back line supposed to be part of the vacuum loop or is supposed to be open.

It should be connected to close the loop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have found the vacuum lines for brake booster, reservoir, and IWE. Am I missing something else?

Just remembered a test to do we do in the shop when we cannot get a helper.

Jack either the right front or left front wheel to where it is off the ground. Start the engine and make sure it is in 4x2. See if you can turn the wheel jacked up without the half shaft moving. Then do the other side.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried something different this morning. Disconnected the IWE vac hose from the solenoid and hooked up the vac gauge. At idle I'm getting about 20psi. I rev the engine and the vac pressure goes down to 25. Put the gauge inside the cab and took it for a drive. I noticed that the vac pressure started to decrease. Under load of a hill it went down to 3 psi at one point. The IWE system is not the problem. Something else is. What can cause the loss of vacuum from the engine under load?

Check the vacuum canister for leaks and se if there is a check valve in the vacuum lines to the canister. Under load and at high rpms, the engine makes less vacuum, that is why there is a vacuum canister and check valve in the vacuum lines.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Turned out to be the check valve. Wish I had known this before I spent $370 on IWE actuators. Thanks for everything . You saved me a trip to the shop on top of everything else.

Thank you for the update. You are very welcome. Glad you found the problem. Sometimes it turns out to be something small and easy.