AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Truck wont start after warming up. in other words, nothing

Customer Question

truck wont start after warming up. in other words, nothing turns over. talked with lock smith he said key is fine. the theft light blinks. i can start the engine by taking a screwdriver and starting the engine with the solenoid
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: dont know how to reset the computer... unless your talking about unplugging the battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1999 ford f150...thanks in advance btw great truck just annoying having to start it that way once warm
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well...i changed the solenoid i had the battery and alternator cked...all great starter works obviously due to cranking its almost as if no power gets to the solenoid i leave the switch on...hit it with the screwdriver and it starts i thought maybe computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thats it
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a 4.6l
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Have you checked for power down at the starter when this occurs? If not, this is your next step. If there is no power to the starter and the theft light is flashing but the key checks out good, then I would suspect a bad pats transeiver. If there is no power down to the starter and the theft light is not blinking, then we pull a wiring diagram and trace down where it is losing power. If there is power down at the starter, then it is likley that the starter motor has failed and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I will send you a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I will be happy to help.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!