Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Code p1443 and fuel tank pressure build up, The fuel economy

Customer Question

Code p1443 and fuel tank pressure build up
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: The fuel economy isn't great
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 97 ford escort lx
JA: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replace the solenoid under the air filter. I would like to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site,

If the sensor is new, then the next step is to follow the vacuum lines from the sensor to the intake looking for cracks, holes or disconnections. Next, the electrical connector should be inspected for loose or broken pins, broken wires in the harness, or rubbed through wire possibly grounding out. If all these che3ck out, then the next step is going to be to have the PCM re-programmed. Ford actually issued a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue back in the day that suggest the calibration of the PCM's ability to read this sensor is off. Just make sure to double check the vacuum lines first, to eliminate obvious faults.

Here is the TSB:

Article No.

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 may be stored in memory. There may be no driveability concerns present.

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The revised calibration will recalibrate the EVAP to test for sufficient flow under normal driving conditions. This should reduce the possibility of the MIL lamp illuminating.