Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2005 f150, Code for bad vct solenoid but i replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2005 f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Code for bad vct solenoid but i replaced both
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I think p0022 but yes i have reset Ford told me that it could be phasers and timing gear but it doesnt have the cam phaser tick or any thing it just keeps throwing a vct solenoid code I was curious if it could be my computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Did you do all the diag steps for this code to rule out wiring or computer concerns or do you need those steps?

Any engine noises or engine running issues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ford service told me usually with cam phasers or timing chain guides and issues with my truck (2005 f150 5.4 3v) that i wouls hear a tick or a knock almost always and my motor makes no noises just missfires under load. Idles just fine. Just throws code for vct which was replaced. Both of them. But one pigtail for solenoid showed it was making a complete cicuit. And the other wasnt. Could it be bad wiring or a bad computer? I just dont want to pay 4000.00 to fix something that isnt broke

Yes this can be a bad connector, wiring or computer. It also could be the phaser. You get a phaser tick when the phaser is oscillating back and forth rapid changing the timing from advance to retard. You could have a phaser stuck not able to adjust and not able to tick. This could also be clogged oil ports which feed the variable cam timing components. Remember I have the code Ford diag steps if you want those.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.