kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2004 Ford Truck E 350 and i need to replace the ac

Customer Question

2004 Ford Truck E 350 and i need to replace the ac compressor because the clutch completely locked up and the drive belt shredded on my way home. My question is 2 fold: Do i just need to replace the ac compressor and how hard is it to do? thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

If the compressor has locked up, you will need to replace the compressor, the reciever dryer, and the oriface tube, as well as do a chemical flush on all of the ac hoses, evap core and condensor. Then you will need to put 4 oz of pag 150 oil in the evap core as well as 4 oz in the new compresor. Then you will need to pull a vacuum on the system for at least 30 minutes. Then you can recharge the system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok well i don't have the time or money to replace all of that but will the compressor replacement, vacuuming system the recharging work?

If you do not flush the system and get all of the material out of the system from the bad compressor, you will only kill the new compressor.

Do me a favor please. Go out to the van and see if you can turn the clutch on the front of the compressor. You may only need to replace the clutch bearing and shoe assembily.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no you can't turn it by hand, i tried.

If that is the case, you can get the parts for around $100.00 and do not have to remove the compressor at all.

Then the compressor has come apart internaly and there will be particals all through out the system and they must be cleaned out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok how to i replace the orifice and dryer? how hard is this?

They are very easy to do. The oriface tube will be the only thing you may have a problem with. When you disconnect the high side line from the evap core, the oriface tube is in he tube of the evap core. You can use a small pair of needle nose pliers to slightly twist and pull and it should come right out. The drier will be connected to the low side line of the evap core and all you have to do is disconnect it from the low side line and the evap core. It will take you about 8 minutes to replace both of them.