Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

1987 Ford E150 inline 6 300 series! Fuel system problem!

Customer Question

1987 Ford E150 inline 6 300 series!
Fuel system problem! Can't run it even after changing fuel pump! Can feed fuel into the system by hand but once its burnt off the van dies!
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can I get an answer soon?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.

There should be two pumps, one in the tank and one on the chassis. Did you check them both?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I checked the external one on the frame, I'm told there is only the one on the chassi??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cant see any wiring going to the tank??

There should be a low-pressure high-volume pump in the tank that feeds the high-pressure high-volume pump on the chassis. To check it, take all safety precautions and then disconnect the inlet hose from the high-pressure pump. Have a helper crank the engine. If no or little fuel is coming out, then the in-tank pump is bad.

Confirm by checking for power at the Pink/Black wire at the fuel tank connector shared with the fuel sender. See attached diagram.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the tank fuel pump is fried would the chassi pump activate anyway when I turn the key on, cause nothing activates so I was wondering if there was a sensor or relay that was malfunctioning and preventing any pumps to start?
Thanks Roger

The two pumps are wired in parallel, so one going bad wouldn't affect the other. Are you getting power to any of the pumps? If not, follow the diagram I uploaded and check the circuit starting with the fuel pump relay - with the relay removed, you should have power on two of the four empty terminals on that socket with the engine cranking. If you do, then the next step would be to check the inertia switch located inside the cabin on the passenger side kick panel. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where Physically is the pump relay and what does it look like also what does the inertia switch look like, if possible could you send me a picture? I jumpered the tank and chassi pumps alternatelly and they work! So I'm assuming that its something else!

I don't usually work weekends - just happened to check messages and saw yours.

The inertia switch is located inside the cabin on the passenger side kick panel (see attached pic). Make sure there is current going through it.

The fuel pump relay is under the hood on the passenger side fender well (see attached graphic) - you can click here to learn how to test it.

I'll be away must of the day. I'll check on you when I return tonight.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry about that but I'm in a bind cause I need the van asap and I'm new to this area with no actual friends to bother!
I'll muddle thru this somehow but thanks for now ,have a good w/e

Just got back. How is that van coming along?