Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

My 2006 Ford F250 5.4L just made a horrible screeching sound

Customer Question

Hi, my 2006 Ford F250 5.4L just made a horrible screeching sound under the hood and stopped running. When I try to start it all I get is a click.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Sounds like nearer the drivers side under the hood and it's been making a sligut screech sound on startup fir about 2 weeks now. But it goes away shortly after I pull out and start driving
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am and nothing. I have no idea even where to begib Begin
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Whatch got for me?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

First thing to do is lift the hood and make sure the drive belt is on it. Sometimes a failing alternator will begin by making the slight screech on start up, then just stop charging. If the bearing seized up in it, then you would get a heck of a noise and if the battery wasn't being charged, it might not want to start.

Please check the belt and let me know what you see.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Belt appears to be good and I just had the alternator replaced a few months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I tell of its seized?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Were you running the a/c at the time. It's possible the air conditioning compressor seized up. If the belt doesn't burn off, then it can prevent the engine from cranking. If you can, remove the drive belt, then see if the engine will at least crank. If it does, then you can turn it off if it starts and try spinning the pulleys by hand to make sure they still spin for you.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
monsoon season has apparently come, literally sunny to downpour in less than 10 minutes so I'm SOL on working on the truck today.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Well,when you can, get the belt off and see if she will crank. If not, then you will have to put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and make sure you can turn the engine by hand.

I got a sneaking hunch the air compressor might have seized up. I have seen this happen on a lot of vehicles.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Possible I guess since I never run the ac. It hasn't worked since I bought the truck (haven't had time to find out why).
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Understand, but if the bearing in the compressor fails, it'll lock you right up.

I am not counting out the alternator either, but it seems like it's fairly new so of the two the a/c seems more likely.

Honestly though, I don't trust the aftermarket alternators.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

I hadn't heard back from you so I thought I would check and see if you needed further assistance with this or not?