Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a V10 2002 Excursion and have a misfire as well as

Customer Question

I have a V10 2002 Excursion and have a misfire as well as the P0720 code. Replaces 4 COP that had worn boots and all the plugs, swapped the OSS and also ran it with the 4 prong plug off the alternator as I have heard that can cause the issue. Still missing and dies often when stopped. Issue is beteen idle and 2K RPMs
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: No misfire codes the P0720 is the OSS code stalls almost every time it's stopped
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: OK
JA: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No at a local shop. We have replaced all the spark plugs, 4 COPs that were original and had worn out boots as well as the OSS
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We tried running it with the alternator unplugged since we read on a forum that a bad alternator could cause this as well
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David and this code is almost always caused by ignition votlage problems from the cop's. even though it may not be showing a code for a misfire, the computer keep a running count of misfires if you have a code 6 capable scan tool. if there are no misfire readings in the misfire counter then i would do a continuity check of the wiring from the oss to the computer.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Were you getting codes that indicated these cylinders were misfiring?

Have you tested the coil signal input as well as the injectors to see if that was to blame for the misfire?

Often a 0720 code is a sign slipping is occurring. Have you noticed it slipping in any gears?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.