Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Trailer light problem. The turn and brake trailer lights

Customer Question

Trailer light problem. The turn and brake trailer lights only work when the running lights are on, and not very brightly at that. Fuse is ok, wiring harness is ok, was wondering if it might be the tow package relay.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: I haven't. But the brake lights work on the truck tail lights, just not the trailer lights.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 98 F150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked tow harness from the plug on the frame back to the plug, and the wiring is all good. Replace the tow package fuse. That's where I'm at.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the problem as I first described it: trailer lights only work when the running lights are on. Otherwise there's nothing (though the tail lights work fine.)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

It is most likey that you have a bad ground from trailer to vehicle. Is trailer attached to vehicle? Try going around block and see if the lights brighten up and start working. Otherwise you can run a ground wire from the vehicle to the trailer

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.