Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

2010 ford escape throttle control/powertrain light (wrench)

Customer Question

2010 ford escape throttle control/powertrain light (wrench) comes on and off, when it comes on, car runs rough
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: wrench
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, just wondering if it is serious or not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

We have about 20 of these escapes in my fleet. Usually when the wrench light comes on it is for a throttle position or accelerator position problem. If it comes and goes then the problem will most likely get worse until the vehicle eventually shuts off because the problem part has gone bad.

The wrench light can also come on for transmission problems, but the symptoms from those are usually hard shifts or slipping in the transmission.

Your best bet is to have the computer scanned to see why the wrench light is coming on. Then you can decide from there whether to fit it.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.