Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Have a 2010 Ford F-150 4.6 liter v8. I have recently noticed

Customer Question

Have a 2010 Ford F-150 4.6 liter v8. I have recently noticed a high pitch whirring noise from the engine. The sound is only heard while driving and not while idling or when stopped and stepping on the gas. I tow a travel trailer and am preparing to leave for Labor Day and just concerned that this could hinder my trip. Would like to have it checked when I get back next week
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

To be clear, the truck actually has to be in motion for this noise to occur?

Does it happen at any particular speed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
truck has to be in motion and seems to get a bit louder with more speed. Also it is not happening every time I drive. Yesterday I did not hear the noise when I left for work but when I went home the noise was back
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Ok

From here all I can really suggest is some common things that cause this type of sound.

First, since the truck has to be in motion, I really think you are looking at a wheel bearing issue. Generally they are fairly consistent though and don't usually come and go, but they can. What I would do or have you do is drive the truck, if you hear the sound, weave back and forth in the lane. If it's one of the front wheel bearings, then it will get louder and quieter as you load and unload the bearings. That's what the weaving does. Since the noise seems to be coming and going, and if it is the bearing, then it's likely it's not bad enough to hinder your trip this weekend.

Another thought would be something like a transmission mount, if the trans can move a little and hit the frame it might make this noise as well.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you don't think it's a sign the transmission is failing?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if it is a transmission mount is this ok to drive with for the next few days?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Honestly I do not. You may be able to downshift when you hear the sound and see if it changes, but it's been my experience noise isn't common before they go. Usually it's either poof! and it suddenly doesn't work, or it gives you some sign, like slipping and an O/D light flashing before hand.

If it's the transmission mount, it will be fine to drive. Even towing the camper.