Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

It is making a grinding/scraping sound in 2WD. Noise stops

Customer Question

It is making a grinding/scraping sound in 2WD. Noise stops when I put it in 4WD.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The front of the truck. Less than a week. (3 or 4 times)
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: F150 XLT 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Don't know if I can fix myself. Replaced the front brakes and rotors (Thought it was a brake issue at first. Checked under the truck to see if anything was hung up. Drove around the block and put it in 4WD to see if it was an issue with the 4WD system
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Online I found a lot of talk about IWE issues that seem to match what I am hearing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

This is usually caused by a vacuum leak in the nylon vacuum tubes that run from the IWE's to the vacuum solenoid. The most common area for leaks is near the shock upper support, the tubes tend to rub in this area. The leaks can be very difficult to pinpoint, we often have to use a smoke machine to find the leak. I have seen the vacuum solenoid fail, but leaks from the tubes are much more common. Here is a good video that explains it in detail.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Kenny Z