Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

My 2005 Explorer sunroof is will not close the last inch-The

Customer Question

My 2005 Explorer sunroof is will not close the last inch-The motor seems fine, it will retract and come back forward, but will not close the final bit. There is no debris in the tracks, and we want to close it manually to have it sealed. We are not interested in fixing any motor issue. We need a way to manually close it tight.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

I have attached the alignment procedure for the sunroof. this is where you need to start. Let me know how this goes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is not what I am looking to do-I am an experienced retired ASE mechanic and ford owner. I just need to be told how to manually close the sun roof. we are not interested in using it once we close it. We have the motor exposed behind the dome light and roof switch cover, I dont see a spot to manually crank the motor with an allen wrench or other tool.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Please see attached. I have attempted to help you in good faith. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. let me know if there is any reason you cannot leave a positive rating. Thanks for your understanding.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

The payment for the phone call has failed. Did you have a question I could answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the motor shown in the procedure you sent is not like what im dealing with.
If I drop motor down can I physically push the sunroof forward? Then re-mount motor after I disconnect the electric? I have pictures, would that help?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Yes I am pretty sure you can drop the motor and manually close it and remount

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.