A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2011 F150 ecoboost 4x4 with brake problems, 50K

Customer Question

I have a 2011 F150 ecoboost 4x4 with brake problems, 50K miles and out of warranty:
1) Pedal has vacuum assist and if I don't brake hard, it will stop decent.
2) In a more aggressive stop, like slowing from highway speeds, the brakes feel very weak and don't slow me that quickly.
3) in a panic stop when i hit the brakes hard, the pedal is rock hard and the truck does not stop well at all. The ABS will not engage unless I am on a gravel road braking with my full weight on the pedal.Ford replaced the electric vacuum pump. It did not fix the problem and my ford dealer would not acknowledge that the truck was not stopping properly. I have narrowly avoided an accident three time. Help.
JA: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?
Customer: Yes, no spongy feel in brakes at all.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Ford?
Customer: F150 ecoboost 4x4.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just ordered new front pads and was going to turn the rotors. However, after reading several posts it appears that many people are having this problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I inspected all four brakes/pads/rotors. I would say that the master cylinder is not generating full pressure, or the pressure is being bled off somehow. Since this is a serious safety issue and many dealers have sent in info to Ford, I would think their engineers would know something.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

Can you give me the VIN# ***** so I can do a little research through Fords database?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If we get disconnected can you contact me at:***@******.***?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am also confused about the free question and sign up. The first person told me it was $5.00. Then when I started to sign up, it was $28. Do I need to do this for you to answer? What gives?

Not sure on the cost, I am subcontracted to Just Answer. I live in Florida and they are based out of California. We can talk back and forth to resolve you F150 issue. There is a recall on the vacuum pump that the dealership replaced in February. But it sounds more like a bad brake master cylinder. We have been seeing the master cylinder cause a lot of braking issues plus is can possibly leak into the brake booster causing the seals in the booster to fail. You will have to remove the master rom the booster and look inside the booster to see the brake fluid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The master cylinder problems you have been seeing, are they specific to this truck?

A few of the 2011 and the newer ones have a recall on the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I take it to the dealer? Do you have the recall number? I am out of warranty.

The recall is only on the 2013-2014 F150s.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any suggestions on how I can get the dealer to pay to look at or fix it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One other thing. There has been no loss of brake fluid from the reservoir. How could the MC be leaking?

Have a talk with the service manager. Bring the paperwork from February when they replaced the vacuum pump. If that doesn't work, go to another dealership and tell the service manager there your situation and about your bad experience at the other dealership.

They may have topped the fluid off when they did the vacuum pump. All you need to do is to undo the 2 14 mm nuts that hold the master to the booster and pull it back to look into the booster. You do not have to disconnect any of the lines.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome.