HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 1999 Ford p71, STALLS WHEN I STOP FAST OR TURN,

Customer Question

hi, my name is ***** ***** have a 1999 Ford p71, STALLS WHEN I STOP FAST OR TURN, HAPPENS A CPL TIMES, 150,000 MILES
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: LIGHTS COMES ON WHEN SHUTS OFF, THEN STARTS RIGHT BACK UP
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MECHANIC FIX, OTHER THAN THIS CARS RUNS GREAT, NO SLUGGISG OR HESITATION.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I USE SUPER UNL,
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is a crown vic police interceptor? The check engine stays on when the car runs? Have you had a diagnostic check for codes done with a scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Negative I'm sure that something I need to do just happened today
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is a police interceptor. I have not had a diagnostic yet
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok, if the check engine light is on, there is a code stored, most auto parts stores will pull codes for free when the light is on. Depending on what code(s) may be stored will tell more about what is part of the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe it's a safety device on the car in case of accident or etc. (faulty) in police pursuits. The engine light does not stay on. Its only in the key on position which is normal when all lights are on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

No safety device on a police vehicle would do this, the only safety device is the inertia switch to kill power to the fuel pump if in an accident. ALso the airbag system. For it to stall at stops or turns would be a load type condition. Even if the check engine light is not on. A check for memory codes should be done first. Along with a Key On Engine Off on demand test for codes and Key On Engine RUnning Test on deman test for trouble codes. If no codes are found, then monitoring the sensor inputs and outputs will help shed light on this type of concern.