Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

HELP!!! My 2005 Ford Taurus SE is again having trouble

Customer Question

HELP!!! My 2005 Ford Taurus SE is again having trouble shifting some of the time. The car has 135,000 miles on it and I have already had the transmission rebuilt...about 60,00 miles ago. Problem: During NORMAL driving trans will sometimes slip when shifting from first to second gear, then slam into gear. This is now happening at least once a day, usually more. When this happened 60,000 miles ago the trans finally quit completely and left me stranded on the side of the road. Some months ago I had the trans serviced and the mechanic could find no obvious problems. The transmission fluid is good and not low. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** of the time this is the first sign of another transmission failure. When this occurs it is caused by excessive clearance between the clutch discs in the transmission. When the transmission was services they should have seen some friction material in the fluid. If not then the next most common failure is the actuator piston for this gear failing. this is very common on most fords. The piston either fractures or it gets caught up in the piston bore.