Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd. with 52,250 miles on it and

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd. with 52,250 miles on it and noticed a leak. I took i t to the Ford Dealership and was told the PTU unit was leaking and needed to be replaced to the tune of a $1,999 repair bill. Since this problem is a design flaw supposedly on the earlier models (2007-2009) and it was supposed to have been remedied by Ford engineering, do I have any recourse - shouldn't this be paid for by Ford?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: The hoses are original and my driving conditions are moderate - only use the car to and from a 20 min. ride to work on back (paved) roads and occasionally on the freeway.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Absolutely not - I have no means to do this myself. I did call a repair shop and was told Ford had the only tools to do this.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes I know of this problem, it is common. You should be under powertrain warranty. PTU is a powertrain component.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Ford dealership said it is out of the powertrain warranty, which is 5 years or 60,00 miles. My car is a 2011, but purchased in December of 2010 which is 8 months out of warranty even though it only has 52,250 miles on it. Since this was a design flaw identified on the 2007-2009 models and was supposedly rectified by the Ford Designers, I believe I should have some recourse here.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I would contact Ford directly, they will give you a goodwill warranty repair if you are the original owner and its this close with the warranty.