Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2010 ford escape and the serpentine belt came off

Customer Question

I have a 2010 ford escape and the serpentine belt came off and ther is nothing wrong with the pulleys or the tensioner but there oil on top of both front shocks. the place they towed it too sez they think that oil caused the belt to come off. there is oil in both front wheel wells too. is there oil in those shocks that can leak out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The hydraulic oil in these shocks can leak out like this here leading to the shocks needing replaced.If the oil makes it onto the belt or any of the smooth faced pulleys this causes the belt to come off.I have seen this several times before in the past and had to repair the leak and clean off all of the pulleys and belt with a cleaner then reinstall the belt.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete