Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 Ford Taurus. Automatic Transmission will not engage. No

Customer Question

2003 Ford Taurus. Automatic Transmission will not engage. No faults on OBDII, except System Readiness P1000, The fluid does not smell burnt. It has Console Shift and noticed that there is not an indication on the Instrument Panel of the gear. Shouldn't it display the gear position from the TRS? Was driving just fine. My daughter drove it home and got in it to go to class yesterday morning, but it would not go into gear. Only recent problem is that it intermittently would not start--would not turn over, but then you could slam the hood or close the door and in a few minutes it might crank perfectly.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

If you look at the shift selector out at the drivers side (top) of the transmission where the shift cable connects do you see it move when moving the shift through the range of gears?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay Rodney, if the shifter is moving the transmission selector through the complete range at the transmission and the transmission is not engaging then the problem has to be an internal problem and not electronic. The computer system on the 2003 Taurus can not command neutral so its not going to be caused by the TRS. Unfortunately your going to need to remove the transmission and do a tear down to determine the cause.