AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a rear driver side turn signal/ brake light not

Customer Question

I have a rear driver side turn signal/ brake light not working and I recently had a steering colum control module replaced due to no brake lights or turn signals at all any ideas? Dealership said either a broken wire or body control module but said there is no way to test the bcm and they want to spend an undetermined amount of time tracking wires... Seems ridiculous that if they do all this after what I spent I'm gonna be 1000-1500 in the hole for stupid turn signals... Any ideas or suggestions... Or a way to check bcm maybe?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not comfortable sharing that informations online 2012 Ford F-250 xlt 6.7l hopefully that helps
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also obviously I've changed all bulbs and everything have been changed its been to the dealership once dealership said the light socket is good and the steering column control module is sending the signal... That's all the further he got after 1.5 hours of diagnosis
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. NO problem. I understand where your coming from. Do you need a wiring diagram for this circuit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would help out somewhat... Yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Will do! Just so I make sure I get the correct wiring diagram for you, I want to be clear what we are going after. The drivers brake light is not working correct? Also the rear drivers turn signal is not working correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct on both
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. One minute.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

This problem is caused by one of three things. A bad Body control module (as it controls power to these lights), a wiring issue to this circuit or a code or codes stored in the BCM. Before replacing or spending time testing, I would first check for codes in the Body control module and or by clearing the memory in the body control module. If there are any stored codes, the BCM may not power up this circuit going to the left rear. So either disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and or use a scan tool to clear codes in the BCM and go from there.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If the problem remains after clearing the codes, check the wiring and replace the BCM as needed.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram for this circuit. It is spread over two pages.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I know if the bcm has been cleared? Also will a regular scan tool work to clear the bcm or is there a special one for these components or even a special ford one?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If you have not had the vehicle plugged into with a full blown scan tool or if the battery has not been disconnected, then the BCM has not been cleared. It will need a more expensive scan tool to read the BCM. A cheap pocket scanner or code reader will not do the trick.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any way of knowing if the battery disconnect cleared it?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Checking to see if the lights work after disconnecting the battery or by checking to see if there are any codes in the BCM after clearing them

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have access to the high priced scan tool to check codes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Then i would just clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and checking to see if the lights work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll be a minute as I'm not by the truck at the moment
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good.. no problem. I will be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did not work
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then I would rule out a wiring issue to the left rear as your next step and then possibly replace the BCM if needed.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What's a fair price for replacement of this part and any labor and/or programming that may need done
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The BCM is failry expensive. I cannot look up the price for the part without the VIN number. YES, there is some labor and programming once it is installed.