Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Nothing works on my instrument panel: no speedo; no odo; no

Customer Question

HI there! --Nothing works on my instrument panel: no speedo; no odo; no oil pressure, nothing. Seeing if it might be as simple as a fuse.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: Oil pump!!!?? No idea how old it is; likely as old as the truck itself. As to the Check Engine light; it WAS on for a long time, but by changing the fuel filter; the check engine light went out; and the instrument cluster stopped working at the same time.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2002 Ford F-250, with the 4.6L V8.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It can't hurt for me to have a cursory look myself.... all I have done is remove and inspect a few fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Nothing pertinent to this issue.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

first, lets try something simple,,

Remove both battery cables from the battery, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, then re-install them back to the battery

let me know if this fixed the problem

IF IT HAS DUAL BATTERIES,BE SURE TO DISCONNECT BOTH BATTERIES BEFORE TRYING THIS

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. I did that. It didn't change anything.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello? Anyone there? It's been 10-15 minutes....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, now it's been 20 minutes. I've been sitting here, waiting for a response. Nothing. I've tried to send you a photo of the fuse box. Unable to do so. What gives? Is this a scam? How long should i wait?

PLEASE STAND BY..

someone will be right with you

no,,isnt a scam,i am opting out,,someone that has a better idea of your electrical system will be right with you

thanks

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you if you are still in need of help

And I apologize for your wait

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Josh… The last guy was no help at all. What information do you need in order to help me?

I think I can go off of what you have given already but I will ask if I need anything. I know that Fords are notorious for not labeling fuse panels, so I am in the middle of looking up your fuse panel application and ID. We will start with checking some fuses. Have you checked all of them in that particular box?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked all the higher-amperage fuses. The instrument panel is not wired for a 5 or 10 amp fuse. I didn't check those. The other ones are all good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is photo of my fusebox.

I noticed that you mentioned that you have an f250 with a 4.6 v8...I don't see that that engine was available in the f250...is it possible that you have the 150?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No Sir. It *IS"* a 2002 Ford F-250, 3/4 ton truck. The 4.6L engine was a rarity, but it is stock.

Wow, a new one on me! :-). I am going to have to provide information for the F-150 but all the electrical components should still be the same.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the proof as to: ***** ***** & 4.6L V8 (gas) engine.

Ok, it seems that the instrument panel has several fuses in that box that feed it. And they all actually seem to be a low amperage rating! Check the following: f2.2, f2.6 & f2.16, . Do you have the cover that came on it with the numbers or do you need a diagram of that?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you have a diagram handy, that would be a great help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you identify those fuses from this photo?

This should be useful...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This photo may be clearer...Yes, I already found the same diagram that you just sent me however,my fuse box does not resemble your diagram's in the least..... so I am including a viewable photo of my fuse box. I you can tell me which precise fuses I should check, that would be most helpful.

Try these three and let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anything?
It's too dark now for me to check the fuses (I've been online over an hour with this site)... do you have a better diagram that more closely resembles the photo I sent you? -- I think a diagram from a larger-engined F-250 will be more appropriate than an F-150.

Did you not receive the last photo?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just received hem. Give me a minute to go out & check those fuses. I will respond as soon as I get back inside.

Great, I'll be here, pal! Good luck!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. I have just checked all 3 of those fuses. They are all good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have any experience or knowledge about some wire that is in the steering column, related to the dashboard instruments, that shorts out? I found some reference to that possibility online...

I imagine this could be possible, but no I have never ran into it. I am afraid I have never ran into an f-150 with a 4.6 nor can I find one that year on AllData. I believe I will have to opt out and hopefully someone else will be able to find what I cannot. Good luck my friend and I am sorry I couldn't do much for you tonight.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is an F-250, with a 4.6, not an F-150, as you state.