A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Just rebuilt my 2004 F150 5.4L 3V engine and put it back in

Customer Question

Just rebuilt my 2004 F150 5.4L 3V engine and put it back in and getting a rough idle. Scan after I cleared the codes are P0119, P1289, P1290, P0171 & P2198 are coming up.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: Intermittent. Also the temp guage is normal for ~1 min then pegs on the cold side
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: 2004 5.4L 3V Lariat
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fix it myself. I shot some throttle body cleaner in the throttle body and it seemed to help the rough idle but just came back.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I had to take the Intake Manifold back off because the rt side harness was stuck and the intake filter broke on the front side. I duct taped the area it broke thinking it should be fine. The engine light was on before and is still on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 months ago.

Ok, lets start with codes P0119/P1289/P1290 which all point to the CHT sensor which is mounted on the passenger side cylinder head in the rear under the intake manifold. Make sure you have it plugged in and that the harness is not pinched under the intake manifold which can also cause the lean code P0171. Also make sure you have plugged in the drivers side 02 sensor for code P2198. The connector is on the back of the drivers side cylinder head.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you referring to the ECT Sensor under the manifold? I'm replacing that now.

Ford actually calls it the CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature) sensor. But it does the same thing.