Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I previously asked," How to install hydraulic disc brakes on

Customer Question

I previously asked, " How to install hydraulic disc brakes on a 1936 Ford sedan." Perhaps I should have requested the answer from an automotive mechanic, as the answer that I got gave me the impression that the question confounded the person answering. I still need to know how to go about getting the brake job done.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

Custom work on a classic can vary depending on what exactly you are are looking for. You could replace the entire from suspension with a late model disc brake setup (probably the easiest way), or you could attempt to retro-fit a disc brake conversion to the existing spindles.

The 1936 Ford came equipped with hydraulic drum brakes, so the brake lines themselves should be fine to use with the disc brake system, but other than that just about everything else will need to be replaced. For either of the mentioned options, you will need to replace the brake booster and master cylinder. Not terribly hard, but again will require some custom install work.

Do you plan to tackle this yourself?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Speedway makes a good bolt on kit that bolts on to your existing spindles, but you will need aftermarket wheels as the original ford wheel will not work with them.

This kit does not include the brake booster. They will work with the manual brake booster, but to get the full effect you would need a power booster.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Complete-Disc-Brake-Kit-1937-48-Ford-5-on-5-1-2-BC,1997.html