Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Have a 1997 ford super duty 7.3 diesel was running good

Customer Question

Have a 1997 ford super duty 7.3 diesel was running good filled up with fuel was driving and felt a hesitation on highway just once then latter that day truck running fine slowing down for stop light truck started to stale eventually got it running ideling ok but when giving fuel under load of driving started missing real bad next day went to start to look at it started blowing white smoke that would burn your eyes truck has high mileage oil is changed regularly
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: traffic stop light
JA: What is the model of your '97 Ford?
Customer: not sure
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes but nothing yet just looking and searching issues XLT
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: dirty fuel filter dirty air filter
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Was it diesel fuel smoke? I assume yes since you said it was burning your eyes.

Do you own a scan tool that can run a power balance test?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a basic odm2

Was it diesel fuel from the exhaust, are you getting any codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i didnt try to pull no codes no check light has been on

Was it diesel fuel from the exhaust, can you try to pull codes to make sure none are stored?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
never check a diesel for compression before

Is that a question or a statement?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
statement

Was it diesel fuel smoke coming from the exhaust, can you try to pull codes to make sure none are stored?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can tomorrow found a very small leak in main fuel in right head at connection would a bad rubber sleeve cause all the smoke and bad running seen a tiny bubble when wetting line down

If the smoke were from fuel it would have to be over fueling from a faulty injector or faulty injector orings. A scan tool with the right abilities could tell you which cylinder is doing this. Without the appropriate tool you would need to replace all orings and retest.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it all started when it stalled at a red light,, figured out it was the fuel filter.. i opened a fuel line to see if it had pressure in the lines everytime i gave it more gas than a ideal it wanted to fall on its face

Are you needing any more help from me or do you know what is now wrong and or what to check?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris