Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I am getting a reading of 0 on vgt duty cycle and turbo is

Customer Question

Hi, I am getting a reading of 0 on vgt duty cycle and turbo is not working.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Early 2004 f250 6.0
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Will be fixing myself. Nothing done yet to resolve this.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Head studs recently done. Reman turbo on it with at least 150k miles. Aftermarket intake and exhaust.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 230k. Havent been watching the mileage as of late. Turbo has been acting up. It was surging in and out at midrange boost. And believe it was making a grinding or crunching noise when accelerating hard.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

have you check vacuum lines to turbo actuator , is the rod moving ?

take out the inter cooler a hose at turbo and look at the turbo blades , any oil leak around it ?

have you had it scanned and retrieved any fault codes ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No codes at this time. Was coming up with maf code and egr code until this happening.

did you mean turbo is after market and has 150k on it or , the truck has 150k and turbo recently changed to reman

how did you fix the egr and maf codes or they just went away or you replaced egr & cleaned passages and replaced maf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The turbo on it is a reman and has at least 150k. Cleaned the maf with maf cleaner. Some cleaner did go in the intake. Changed air filter. Codes cleared out and the truck ran better than it had in a long time including the turbo. But two days later no boost. Havent had a chance to thoroughly look it over yet.

1-check the turbo and vacuum lines & the actuator and let me know ,and we can go from there

2-unhook battery for 15 min and reconnect see if that will reset any modules causing this , i doubt it but you can try it

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back when ready & we will continue troubleshooting

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified

Chad