Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Speedometer, odometer, cruise control not working. I just

Customer Question

Speedometer, odometer, cruise control not working. I just replaced gears in cluster and the VSS
JA: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?
Customer: 1996 4.6
JA: What is the model of your '96 Ford?
Customer: MustAng gt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced vss and gears in cluster
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Using the diagram below. Can you OHM test the VSS sensor wires to the instrument cluster to see if there is an open circuit?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont have a meter what if i pull out the vss and manually spin the gears and see if speedo works would that tell me if its a bad wire?

Yes it would tell if the wires are bad as long as your sure the 2 prior repairs were done right and those parts are good.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris