Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I just bought a 2008 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel Crew Cab.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2008 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel Crew Cab. All 4 doors show that they are ajar all the time and the dome lights stay on. I replaced the switch in the drivers door, but that did not change anything, that door stills shows ajar. I could not find a break in the drivers door wire at all. Where do all these wires go and what else can I check and/or replace?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Does your instrument cluster tell you which door is ajar or does it just tell you a door(s) is ajar?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It tells me which door. It cycles through each door and says they are all ajar. When I turn off the truck, I can also hear a whistling/humming sound coming from the engine by the firewall, it does not stop. My batteries drain overnight, but my batteries and alternator are good, I had them checked. If I pull fuse #26 (Cluster), the sound stops, and does not start again when the fuse is replaced. I did see that there are a bunch of cut wires hanging by the steering column. It looks like there was something aftermarket installed (maybe an alarm?) and then removed.

1)Those cut wires is about 5 of them and are there cut wires near the drivers side hood hinge that match those wire colors?

2)Here are the steps to follow for a drain concern to find the circuit to blame. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/draintest.pdf

3) Fuse 26 only powers the instrument cluster on a yellow/red wire. Can you find what is causing this noise and see if this color wire wire anywhere under the dash or in that area is messed with. You may need to remove and unplug the cluster and remove this fuse then OHM test that wire at the cluster to power and ground. You should get an open circuit both ways. If you get continuity to power or ground then someone has spliced into this wire.

4)Door ajar, access any one of the door ajar sensors. Door open is one wire to the sensor ground, door closed are both wires to it now grounded? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/doorajar.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I brought it into a shop. They replaced the smart junction box, which fixed the door ajar and dome light issues. I guess the connectors were in bad shape. I still hear the noise under the hood and have a battery drain issue. I identified the noise under the hood as the throttle body. There are 2 4-wire connectors on the throttle body, I guess the one on the right is for the EGR. The one on the left is the one making the noise (the right one is a little bit too though). If I disconnect it and then attach it again, the noise disappears. The console fuse also makes it stop. I can only assume that either the console or the ignition switch is still sending a signal to the throttle body when I turn off the engine.

This throttle body concern is likely your drain source as well.

When its making noise with the key removed, unplug the throttle body and tell me which wires have any voltage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, when I unplug the wires and plug them back in, the noise continues. It only stops by pulling the fuse. I attached pictures of the connectors and the voltages with the key off and removed.

Does fuse 74 under the hood gill power on this connector.

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/QXlqcbDG/Wire+01.jpg

Does the PCM relay removed stop these issues?

I think your PCM is staying powered up along with other circuits.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
fuse 74 shut off the one connector and pulling the PCM power relay shut them both down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PCMrelay.pdf

PCM relay out, the PCM should not be sending ground to the relay on pin 85.

If there is no ground, then the relay is bad.

If there is ground then unplug the PCM and retest.

If there is no more ground now at the relay then the PCM is bad or being powered up, check fuse 71.

If unplugging the PCM still results in pin 85 grounded then the wire is shorted to ground.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure how to identify pin 85 or test the ground on it. Would it be easier to just throw a new pcm relay in and see if that fixes it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I replaced the relay, but still doing the same thing

Now you can test the relay pins from the diagram I sent then continue the test at the PCM.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a ground to pin 85, but lose the ground when unplugging the PCM. Fuse 71 is fine, not blown or anything.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I disconnected my instrument cluster and the nose in the engine stopped. Is it Probable that I just need a new instrument cluster?

The PCM should not be grounding this wire. Something is keeping the PCM powered up wit the engine off?

Is fuse 71 still powered with the key off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, fuse 71 is not powered with the key off.

Thanks, ***** ***** narrowed down to the instrument cluster or PCM to blame. If fuse 36 under the dash is not powered with the key out then this means the cluster is telling the PCM that the key is on and the PCM is staying on and energizing the PCM relay.

This post timed out today. From this point once i have helped 100 customers this post will roll off the bottom of my list not able to see it any longer from no prior rating. Just a heads up

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fuse 36 is not powered with the key off and out.

Replacing the instrument cluster is the next task since it being unplugged kills the PCM and the PCM relay.