Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I wish to jumper the fuel pump (2007 Mustang GT 4.6) to

Customer Question

Good evening. I wish to jumper the fuel pump (2007 Mustang GT 4.6) to empty the fuel tank from the disconnected fuel filter line. Should this be done by jumping pins 30/87 of the FP relay or another location, such as the Inertia Switch location?
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: It's a show car that's been garaged for ~3 years without movement. Have about 7 to 8 gallons (1/2 tank). Battery is fresh, haven't turned the engine over yet though in preparation.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm capable. There's not much to try except pump the fuel out and replace with fresh.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm not crazy, just need to avoid dropping the tank or opening up the fuel pump access from within the interior (if at all possible) so as not to damage/blemish any interior aspect. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. You will need to supply power and ground to the fuel pump wires coming from the fuel pump module to the fuel pump. The pink/black wire is the power wire to the fuel pump and the black wire is the ground wire. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, an the "fuel pump module" is located where? (where is the easiest location to access the pink/black power wire). Would jumping the FP relay port be any more convenient? Thanks.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I dont think jumpering the fuel pump relay will do the trick because the fuel pump driver module needs a signal from the PCM to activate the fuel pump. So even if you jumper the fuel pump relay I dont believe the fuel pump driver module will run the pump very long.. if at all without a signal from the computer.. but you can certainly give it a shot. The fuel pump driver module (FPDM) is located in the spare tire stowage compartment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the required supply power to the pink/black wire is 12v, right? Also, I'm guessing it's a plug that can be disconnected so as to attach jumper wire? I see your point about the relay and agree, might only get 3 second power signals before shutoff.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

YES, the fuel pump runs on 12 volts or battery voltage. YES, you can disconnect the connector going to the fuel pump driver module and supply power and ground directly to those wires and run the fuel pump.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a full pinout diagram for the fuel pump module for the 2007 models or is it only the four wires shown in the above link (pins 2-4-6-1)? Sorry for the headache.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

YEs, that is the full wiring diagram for the fuel pump module.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, last question (we're not at the shop right now, will check it in the morning): Do you show a 12V source near the module that the power can be jumped from, or do you recommend a separate/isolated source such as an external battery? Thanks again for your timeCustomer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Run seperate wires from the battery power and ground to the fuel pump module connector to run the fuel pump.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!