HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Not starting the fuse box make clicking sound, i only found

Customer Question

not starting the fuse box make clicking sound
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: i only found one
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 expedition
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have tried to fix it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: took the fuse box cover off - checked the fuses.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, is it the starter relay that is making a clicking noise in the fuse panel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
something in the fuse box makes a ticking sound
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One of the small relay's, even when the SUV is off, makes a ticking sound.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok if you have an owners manual , see if you can identify which relay it is. It is a common thing to see a starter relay melt and do damage to the fuse block. Make sure the battery has a full charge, if it is low on power, it can make the electric system do weird things.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have ensured the battery was fully charged. What happened is that it would start...then stall as it seemed as if it was not getting any fuel. The first thing that happened was a warning to "check advanced trac" - within a few moments, the ABS light came on, then the air conditioning shut down.
The fuse box has been removed from the passenger side and taken apart. A visual inspection of the relays showed there was not obvious damage.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When it does start - all of the lights light up on the dash. Often, it doesn't start and the only light which is on is what looks to be the passenger air bag light.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you roll the window up it will "pulse" all the way up. Rolling a quarter inch, pausing, rolling, pausing etc.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok so it does start and run sometimes, and other times it wont power up the instrument cluster. When it runs does the charging system work properly? Was the vehicle involved in an accident? Does it have an aftermarket alarm system installed? You dont know which one of the relays is clicking? Or is it one of the internal relays that is part of the fuse panel and not servicable? DId you have a diagnostic check for codes of the abs system and engine control systems?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it will start sometime - but not run for any length of time.
No accident - this happened while driving on a city street.
No aftermarket alarm system
It is one of the internal relays that is not serviceable (part of the fuse panel). The panel was taken apart completely to see if one of those fuses were damaged.
No code came up on the dash aside from the message "check advanced track" and once the message 2hi-something flashed, but it flashed so quickly I wasn't able to read it. We don't have a machine to determine a diagnostic code.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok, then it sounds like a failure inside the fuse box if it is a not servicable relay. It would be ideal to find out what codes are being stored for the abs systm and other computer modules in the vehicle to be sure it isnt anything else. The only other reason there could be this type of concern is if there is a loose or poor ground for one of the systems that is showing an issue. Which would be easier to isolate when codes are retrieved for the vehicle before replacing the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is as if there is something causing intermittent power to be received by the relay. The relay looks fine. The only way I could check the relay would be to remove it from the board.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Either a bad ground or weak coil in the relay

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Actually that style is probably a semiconductor, no moving parts for that type of internal relay on a circuit board.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Biting the bullet and spending a couple bucks having a dealer or shop with a good scan tool would be the way to go next.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you elaborate on a bad ground? Is there something else that we can check.I don't understand what you mean by "no moving parts"
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Depending on what codes are stored, if it is showing a circuit fault for the same type of circuits for multiple module issues, it could be traced to a bad or loos or corroded ground. A mechanical relay is a coil and switch style relay. A relay that is part of a circuit board might be a semiconductor that closes when it is powered up, almost like a transistor operation.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

You are just going to guess otherwise.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
well everything failed at once. Air conditioning, windows, radio, fan etc.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
then as quickly as it all stopped, it started....then I just shut everything off to try and get the damn thing home.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Thats all I can tell you without knowing more information on code status since these systems are setting warning lights. Long as charging system is working and battery is good, no bad cell.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could a crappy battery cause all of this to happen?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Yes it can, as I mentioned earlier, a battery with a bad cell or issue can cause a voltage drop, like a bad ground and make the electrical system do odd things.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Alright -I suppose that means if the alternator stopped charging that could also be the issue.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Absolutely. If system voltage drops below 9.6 volts. All sorts of issues will happen with the electrical system. Thats why I asked about the state of charge on the battery and charging system operation

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well that could very well be the issue then.How can we check to see if the alternator is charging?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

With a voltmeter or when the concern is occuring ideally.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

SHould have a good 13-14 volts output at the battery. Have the battery load tested and charging system tested. Most auto parts stores will do a basic check for free.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
perfect. thanks.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Very good, If you need more help or information. Let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help?