Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I turn the key on and nothing but it has power everywhere,

Customer Question

I turn the key on and nothing but it has power everywhere
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 f150 xlt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing to get my gun and start shooting it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I turn the key I hear a click from the past side in the kick panel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a security light or a rapid flashing red light on dash?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I turn on the key everything dings and dose as normal when I turn the key I hear a click coming from the passenger side near the fuse block
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't hear the fule pump but I have help coming to see if they can hear it when I turn on the key
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when I turn on the key and try to start the light do not go dim
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I switch #3and #8 relays and still nothing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Getting no fire to the starter
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

The security light means there is an immobilizer fault. You will need a scanner that can get security data. Do you have access to a scan tool with security data?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It goes out when you turn the key on
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Ok so when the key is on you dont have a security light? or you do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No iidont
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a test light and a piece of wire?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Can you hear the relay clicking when you turn to crank position?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to both and we took the starter off to go get a new one
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

OK. I don't remember saying to replace the starter but OK. I guess we will see if that works. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The starter was locked up and failed the check test
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Ok Did the replacement repair your concern?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No what were you saying about the tester and wire
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We crossed the starter out and it started
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The key has been sticking is it possible to switch is bad I tried to push it but it still will not engage
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Can you hear a relay clicking under the hood when you turn key to the start position?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a nd can feel it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When you turn the key there is still no fire going to the starter the relay clicks but it does not energized the starter to start
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Put new ignition switch in it and it still clicks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What were you saying about a test light and a wire
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

I would start with seeing if there is another relay with the same part number and swap it and see if it helps. If the starter relay is clicking it is getting the request. SO it is likely the relay has failed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I swapped 2 and 8 and nothing
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Ok remove the relay and you will probably need a piece if wire to reach the terminals. DO not use the test light where the relay plugs in. Push the wire into the cavity and check for power at end of wire. You should have 1 power all of the time. This is the one I think you are missing. It is fuse 13 30 amp fuse if you do not have constant power. Due to the fact that the relay is clicking tells me the others are there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I'll check
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

OK. I am about done tonight. I will check first thing in morning.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am on the road now I'm a truckdriver I will have to check what you told me to check with fuse 13 when I get back in this weekend I will write you and let you know what happens
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

OK. Just let me know if you need anything.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kool
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Just respond when you have a question please otherwise I get constant notifications.

Thanks for your understanding