Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Won't start sometimes. When you turn the key, no dash

Customer Question

won't start sometimes. When you turn the key, no dash lights, no action from starter either. Also, when driving down the road it has stalled and won't restart same way. Trial and error we found that by wiggling a relay under the hood, it will start and dash lights come on when you turn the key. The relay is under the hood, near where the master cylinder is located on most cars and there are 2 2" x 3" covers, the one closest to the wheel is the one that we wiggled. it has 3 relays under it, one large and 2 smaller ones. it is one of the two smaller ones that has to e wiggled. we are trying to identify what the 2 relays are for to troubleshout further. Truck is a Ford RF250 7.3 year 2002.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: all fuses good, dashboard lights all good--if you wiggle the relays, dash lights come on like normal and engine will crank and start
JA: What is the model of your '02 Ford?
Customer: F350 superduty dually
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed all three relays
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: had bodywork done on fender a couple weeks before this started happening, including replacing left front fender near the relays
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site ...please allow me some time to look up that information for you. thanks

Is this the relay box you are referring to?

Hello, just checking in to see if you need more assistance. If so, let me know. If you're satisfied, please kindly provide a 5-star rating. Thank you!
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The prior tech has opted out. Would you like me to help on this possible wiring issue from the collision?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.