Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ive got a 2002 ford ranger 4.0 I try to fill it up with gas

Customer Question

ive got a 2002 ford ranger 4.0 I try to fill it up with gas but it keeps shutting the pump out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. I would say that your breather hose is plugged There should be a hose coming off the neck somewhere it relieves pressure out of the tank when you fill and when your pump sucks it lets pressure in... Its common never this bad though usually chokes engine out first.... is there a check engine light on by the way?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no check engine light, I replaced the vent valve, and blew out the evap lines with a air hose.

ok. let me look into this then

on the filler neck, theres a fuel shut off valve where the small vent hose branches off. these things go bad from time to time and the way to fix it is to replace the filler neck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replace the filler neck and it still does the same thing

when you blew out the evap lines/hoses did you have them disconnected on both ends?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yea I did I disconnected them all and blew air threw them what line usally clogges and il recheck it

its usually the vent line from the filler neck. but there is a baffle in the tank that gets stuck. pull the filler hose off on the tank and stick your fingers in and you will feel it. make sure it moves...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already made sure the baffle moves in the tank it works and I blew out the hose to the vent line to filler neck

i would double check for kinked hoses and lines and if they are ok, smoke it.

any progress?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok il try that today and get back to you
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Have you removed the vapor canister and verify the canister is not restricted, the vent solenoid is open and not restricted, the dust separator and lines are clear and not restricted? If not I would start there.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z