Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

98 windstar will blow the fuel pump fuse, I have driven it

Customer Question

98 windstar will blow the fuel pump fuse, I have driven it up to twelve miles with no issue and as little as three miles before the fuse will pop. I replaced the fuel pump. The wiring looked ok when I had the tank down, but i did not look closely. I would think if I had a short that by now The wiring would have burnt. I
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes I believe so. It has ran with a twenty amp in the fuel pump for as long as I have owned it. I replaced the fuel pump fuse with a circuit breaker. The last time I tried this I could not figure out how to pay you. I know the pcm controls the pump.
JA: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I have bypassed the inertia switch, I have unwrapped and inspected wiring by the underhood fuse block, I have tested continuity on a section of the wiring harness. It passed. Also when I was testing the harness I had a wire with 12 volts and one with 5 volts. This was back by the fuel filter that I also changed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is not my good car so if there is something kind of odd that I need to do thats ok.
Category: Ford
Expert:  camerontech replied 2 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.
this can be a bit of a tricky one to answer, so i will do my best as if i was looking at it myself.
there was a tsb on these for internal fuel pump wiring and it rubbing on the clamp inside the fuel tank, but you have replaced the pump so this eliminates this.
we have 2 options on this.

1. open the harness from to fuel pump relay all the way through the firewall under the panels to the fuel pump assembly and look for a wire that is chaffed.

this is what i think the problem is, but it is very time consuming to find it.

2. run a new wire from the fuel pump relay straight to the fuel pump.

I can give you the wire diagrams for the fuel pump circuit if it will help you