James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Ford E450 6.0 has no power at the x3 ficm connector on pins

Customer Question

Ford E450 6.0 has no power at the x3 ficm connector on pins 7 and 8. I cannot find a blown fuse and I have verified that the relay works properly.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 211,000. Brand new batteries
JA: What year is your E150?
Customer: It's an E450 starcraft paratransit bus. 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Been through the fuse box and relays. I'm not sure if there are fuses in another location that I am koto aware of.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have disconnected the ficm x3 connector and verified no power to pins 7 and 8.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Which connector is it that has no power? the main conector?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Main connector. No power at pins 7 and 8.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Fuse 54 and 81 control each of these wires. If you turn the key to the run position and test for power do you have 12volts on both sides of the fuse.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll check
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
54 has no fuse. 81 has 6.6v on one side with key in the on position.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Sorry it is 56. If 81 only has 6volts the ficm relay is bad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should add that I bought this bus from a city auctionow. They strip some of the electronics and left a few wires hanging under the steering column. A blue with black wire was cut and I had to splice it before th starter would engage. There is a yellow with gray wire cut and left hanging, but it seems to me that may have been an after market wire.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh ok. Fyi. I took it out and tested it on a 12v power supply and it seemed to work. It made contact and had continuity, but it has never engaged while being plugged into the fuse box.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

It has good contact except under a load. That is why you only get 6volts unless the wire has high resistance. It is a standard 70amp relay if you have one laying around

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I'll have to go buy one. I also tested fuse 56. It had 12.6 on one side and 7 and dropping on the other.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I did have one laying around. Put it in and no luck. Still low voltage at the fuse it was at about 7v on both sides but was dropping rapidly (similar to how a capacitor would act if just left to slowly discharge). Power at the pins would go to .5 volts then back down to zero every second or so.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Ford would suggest replacing the fuses and retesting