Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Fuse panel under hood, fuse #74 keeps blowing and we have

Customer Question

fuse panel under hood, fuse #74 keeps blowing and we have narrowed it down to HPFP. We have cab off, pump gasket off, can we check short in pump itself?
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: But what am I checking for?
JA: What is the model of your '74 Ford?
Customer: No, no, its a 2008 F550 with 6.4L diesel
JA: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have unpluged all electronics such as TCM and such that could be on the fuse 74 circut. When we plug HPFP in, then it blows 20A fuse. We have removed HPFP and gasket and checked gasket for short. Cant find a short. Do you know what OHM meter readings the pump should have?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so...
Category: Ford
Expert:  piciu1982 replied 3 months ago.

do you have pump gasket 4 pin connector disconnected ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when connected it blows fuse, unplugged which it is now , it does not blow fuse. yes it is unplugged as we were checking wiring
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
feel like it is in one of the components on HPFP, but both show bout 3 ohms of resistance. HPFP was replaced approx. 15k mi. ago. when fuse blew , truck just quit and would not start back.

most common problem is gasket its shorting out where wires goes through it , did u replaced it, also you can put power directly to pcv and vcv valves on the pump, to test if they work, and not cause a short,

FORD TSB