Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

It's a 1998 ranger. Has brand new starter. Alternator has

Customer Question

It's a 1998 ranger. Has brand new starter. Alternator has been checked and is working. Truck won't start. It's not even trying to turn over at all.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes. We've even tried hooking up jumper cable. Lights, radio, everything else is working
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes would like to fix it myself. Replaced starter and starter relay.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. It was driving fine. Shut off truck for a few minutes then wouldn't turn back on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

HI there,

Do you have a test light or volt meter so we can do some testing?
Which engine is in it? Also, is it an automatic or manual?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's automatic. It's a 4 cylinder. And no i don't have a test light or volt meter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok

Does it make any sound at all when you attempt to start it?
Clicking at the starter or anything or just silence?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it doesn't make any sound. If i do a bypass on the starter the starter turns on but the truck still won't start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Ok

First, check the 50 amp maxi fuse under the hood it should be #5. Remove it and make sure it's not blown. If it is, then the truck won't get signal to the starter. This would prevent it from cranking,but also might cause it to not start when you jump the starter with the ignition on.

If that fuse is fine, this may be a problem with the neutral safety on the side of the transmission. This will prevent the engine from cranking if the truck doesn't know it's in park. Sometimes putting the truck in neutral will allow the starter to crank.

Please check the fuse and let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already tried starting the truck in neutral and it wouldn't start but I'll check the fuse.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Thats not a foolproof test for the neutral safety switch since it uses the same wiring in neutral as it does in park. Sometimes we get lucky and it will start, but it's by no means proof the switch is good. Let me know on the other.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked all th fuses and they're all fine. Not sure what to do now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

We need a test light to check the wiring at the neutral safety switch or at the ignition switch. If the check engine light comes on when you turn the key on, then I think the ignition switch would be good.