Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I need a little help here, I took my 02 Ford ranger 4.0 4x4

Customer Question

I need a little help here, I took my 02 Ford ranger 4.0 4x4 to the shop for a shifting problem, (it's a manual) they shimmed the main Shaft, put in a new clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, new pilot and throwout beating. When I got the truck back it shifted perfect, but ten minuets after I left the truck started making a high pitched whining noise when under load. (When I accelerate, or if I rev the engine) I brought the truck back and they said they needed to do all new bearings in the transmission and the noise was nothing they did although I had never heard it before. I paid anther $1400 to have them pull the tranny soar again for that. After I picked the truck back up it did the same thing still. It's after about ten minuets of driving. I returned the truck yet again and they said it was a bad fan clutch and idler pulley so I replaced those, noise is still there.
JA: Have you heard this particular sound before?
Customer: Never, not until after I picked it up after the first set of repairs
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorry that explanation was so long winded lol
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've narrowed it down to the drive terrain and I'm certain it has to do with something that happened at the shop. (Not necessarily there fault, maybe the got a bad pilot bearing or something?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. First of all I believe they are taking you for a ride and not professionally diagnosing and addressing your issues. You can tell me I'm wrong but how deep is your pockets if they just guess and contentiously throw parts that don't seem to fix your problem? By the time they finish and maybe not solve it you may have been cheaper to throw a used or rebuilt tyranny in it. What I usually tell customers when this happens is get another opinion and take it from there. In this case if you still want to be drained by this shop at least talk to the owner and or service manager to get help in resolving this. If you already have and they think they are doing a fine job then it's time to move to another shop. I'm sorry if I seem so worked up over this but I hate seeing people being ripped off by my trade .they should be honest enough to tell you they don't know or at least help you by not charging for they're guess work.here is a link you may be interested in that deals with that . I won't try to diagnose a problem I feel should be corrected by the shop you paid to fix in the first place , if you and the shop can't come to some agreement the n take it a step further the better business bural . That will get things going in your favour shops don't like bad rattings. Hope this gives you some thought of what to do, don't be miss led and fluffed off it's your money. http://automotivesystemsinmotion.com/