Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2008 Ford F-250 won't start. Battery's are good. Starter

Customer Question

My 2008 Ford F-250 won't start. Battery's are good. Starter is good. Starter relay is good. It's like it is not reading the key, but all I did was shut it off, Then when I turned back on. Nothing. Can key or GEM module be bad?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Keys good. Plus I have spare key that I tried. Steering wheel won't turn unless running.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will take to Ford dealer if I have to, I'm a pretty good shade tree mech, and electrician by trade, so understand basics. Just hate to call tow truck.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I jumpered pins 87 and 30 on starter relay. Engine cranks, but no start, as the diesel fuel system apparently works off the anti thief system also.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

You didn't get any kind of turn engine off message before you shut it off and it wouldn't restart right?

Do you have a scan tool to check for codes?

Do you have a spare key you could try?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no scanner. It is in my driveway. I tried another key. I have two . Thought you might have some ideas. Anti theft system? Can these systems go bad? The book says the keys don't go bad.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

The keys don't but they might lose programming or the module that picks up the signal from the keys will. This happens often enough for it to be the first thing we check. You will need a good scan tool to make sure that isn't what is happening.

Can you check to see if the reverse lights will come on when you turn the key to the on position and shift to reverse? If they don't then that means the problem is likely in the transmission range sensor. This sensor won't let the engine crank if it doesn't send a signal showing that the transmission is in park or neutral.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

This vehicle also has an exhaust gas temp sensor that could be causing it to not crank the engine. This is fairly common on the diesels, but you usually get a warning a day or two before this acts up telling you to turn engine off on the dash or a message about exhaust gas temperature or regen.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm afraid to reply anymore, as you said to call, and you would charge me more money. Sounds like you guys are a little shady. Please give me refund, and no more messages.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry, that's an automated phone call request. It comes from Just Answer's computer system. I don't get to see when they do that and I actually don't prefer to communicate that way.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I can send a request to customer service to process your refund. Us experts don't handle billing- we just see the questions, offer responses and then get paid if customers accept our response. We never see any contact info or billing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mr. Jared D. I understand your situation , and Thankyou for your help. I will just write off the 28 bucks. Please tell the management that when they throw the extra charges in for phone calls it tends to make you wonder what your final bill will be. They have your credit card number. Thankyou for your help.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.