Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a Ford Excursion 2002 7.3 diesel 4x4 truck with 95K

Customer Question

I have a Ford Excursion 2002 7.3 diesel 4x4 truck with 95K miles.Look like the HPOP seals are leaking. Need advise / instructions / where to buy the seals to replace. I might as well replace all the seals.I changed all the shocks and steering damper. What other suspension parts should I be looking at changing?What other maintenance should I be looking at?I hear alot of horror stories about people changing the tranny fluid with mileages like mine and soon after they blow the tranny. Is this true?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Lets start with what maintenance have you done?

When was last trans service? if you have not done a trans service ever I strongly suggest leaving the trans alone or take to trans shop and be prepared for an overhaul.

When was last transfer case fluid change?

Differential fluids?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not a mechanic but have found that many mechanics don't know much about diesel trucks and I like to educate myself and get better parts then what they would get from the regualr parts store.I havent done any maintenance to it and now its 95KNever did a tranny service. I dont have any problems with the tranny just asking about the comments I hear.Never did the transfer case fluid change?Never did the Diff fluid change?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.

OK. If the trans has never been done I would pull the dipstick and check condition of fluid. If burnt smelling or brown. DO NOT DO ANYTHING. Typically the pump seal leaks when a bushing is worn meaning you are due for an overhaul.

I would strongly suggest changing transfer case oil and diff fluids as well. They are all over due.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the HPOP seals question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wat about the suspension?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.

I personally would only get the HPOP seals at the dealer.

As far as the suspension I would suggest checking the ball joints and the U-Joints in the axles. Again I would only get these parts at the dealer. Aftermarket will be more expensive and not last.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dealer doesn't sell the seals only the HPOP. Please put my question back into the queue so someone which experience and first hand knowledge can respond.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out. Would you like me to help?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please answer my questions from the original post. The answers I received were generic.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Are these still the only questions your needing answered.

1. Look like the HPOP seals are leaking. Need advise / instructions / where to buy the seals to replace. I might as well replace all the seals.
  2. I changed all the shocks and steering damper. What other suspension parts should I be looking at changing?
  3. What other maintenance should I be looking at?
  4. I hear alot of horror stories about people changing the tranny fluid with mileages like mine and soon after they blow the tranny. Is this true?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
  1. I would buy the seals from your dealer. Here are the closest directions I have to remove everything from the pump so you can address the seals that are leaking. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/HP%20pump.pdf
  2. You should check the steering gear, and steering linkage, and ball joints for excessive wear and slack.
  3. I would replace all fluids and filters, undercoat it if rust appears bad, check all brake and coolant hoses for dry rot. Check all brake pads. Use some injector cleaner or trans oil in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.
  4. When a owner services a transmission and the vehicle will not pull out of the shop. The transmission is already damaged and soon to fail anyways. The service removed the grit that was in the fluid. You were already on borrowed time. it would be better to have the failure now than while 100 miles from home. If the fluid is still red and has no odor and the trans works well, I would service it.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have the part numbers for the seals? I called the dealer and they said they don't just sell the seals.I'm not able to open the file from dropbox.

Try the link again.

Sounds like your dealer does not know how to look it up. Use these http://www.dieselorings.com/8-002ex-extended-hpop-o-ring-kit-with-pump-hose-fitting-repair-kits.html

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this kit has all the o rings for the hpop?When I get this done you recommend me changing any other items associated to this job?I mechanic doesn't really work on diesel. He just replaced my glow plugs. Do you think this job is something a good mechanic even though he doesn't work on diesels much can do?The file you put in the dropbox before can you put it up again.

Yes it does.

For this repair there are no other recommendations on things to do in that area.

That is a tough question for me to answer if a mechanic whom does not work on diesels can do this repair or not. I would have to see the mechanic work and know them prior to making a close guess.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/HP%20pump.pdf