Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Have a 2009 Ford F1 50 driving down the highway yesterday

Customer Question

Have a 2009 Ford F1 50 driving down the highway yesterday coming back from camping or truck just completely died no power to the battery we had very dim domelight no headlights and no spark at all to the battery even when you tried to boost it there's no spark at all
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It was all of a sudden but we still had windows and everything
JA: What is the model of your '09 Ford?
Customer: Yes that's right it's a 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not necessarily fix it ourselves but it already cost us $400 to get it towed to town! Now it is sitting at Ford, they tell us $204 just to put it on a diagnostic machine per hour
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't have that kind of money
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. did you notice any warning light on before it stalled?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No but it did kick out of tow haul right after we left campground, it died about 2 hrs later
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has been raining for two days and yesterday it was wet and cool out

Ok. Has anything ever happened like this before, especially on cool or damp days?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No nothing like this has happened before, it's been a good truck

ok. let me pull some old records up. thanks for your patience.

ok, I cant find any info on that exact problem, but, if you have a scan tool or know someone who does, you need to check for codes. also how old is the battery? and how mechanically inclined are you? Im asking these questions so you can get the vehicle home and not have ford ripping you off with unnecessary bs. that way I can walk you through some testing so we can figur out what happened.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery is good and we happen to have a couple others with us of the camper and when we tried them it was like they were dead to
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am semi-mechanical! Could it be an alternator or relay

it wont be the alternator if the battery is good. it should at least crank. it could be the starter. starter relay, a fuse, a fusible link..... I think the very first thing to check are the fuses. im going to pull up a print of the starting circuit and send it you. also a very important thing to try is to turn the key to the on position(not start) and see if the check engine light comes on with the other lights that normally come on.

Im sorry, but what engine is in that truck 5.4?

hello? do you still need assistance? i need to know the engine size.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 months ago.

New expert, do you still need help with your 2009 F150?