Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Doors lock and unlock while driving. 1999 ford expedition,

Customer Question

Doors lock and unlock while driving. 1999 ford expedition
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Has been happening awhile but haven't had anyone try to fix it yet
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read it is possible BCM. I am going to take it to be fixed but not sure where. One mechanic looked last year and said couldn't find cause
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The light comes on that says door ajar at same time but no doors open and I can't isolate what causes that.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

Hi .

Yes its very possible that you have a failing BCM but most common for this issue a a faulty drivers door actuator.

What is going to be needed is a good scan tool with BCM live data that can check which door actuators are closed and open when driving .

Also check for BCM malfunction codes maybe already recorded that there is a fault .

When driving and in live mode all the doors normally lock automatically , then in live data check for any of the doors that may be opened , this will cause the locks to unlock and lock .drivers door is normally the problem .

If no codes in any of the system then could be a BCM ?? But as said not a common issue for the BCM to cause this issue

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me , be very happy to help if needed.

Rgds Greg