Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 95 4.0l ranger starts fine in the morning let it run 1

Customer Question

My 95 4.0l ranger starts fine in the morning
let it run 1 minute or all day turn it off and
it will not start for many hours
has strong spark fuel pressure is about 40 pounds
when it starts after waiting for several hours
it acts like its flooding for few seconds
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Dose the fuel pressure hold steady when it will not start?

Have you scanned the computer to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
fuel pressure holds steady
no codes
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

When it will not start if you pull the spark plugs are they gas soaked?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have not removed spark plugs
I did replace plugs about 6 mo ago
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If you are sure you have good spark at the spark plugs when it will not start and proper fuel pressure then I would start with checking a couple of the spark plugs for any signs of fuel fouling and if they check okay then check to see if you have injector pulse at the injectors when it will not start. You can do this with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end of the light in the power side of the connector at any one of the injector s and the ground in on the other side and then crank the engine over. If you have pulse, the light will flash.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is trottle body engine no injectors
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Yes you have a throttle body for sure you also have 6 injector , one for each cylinder. You will see them if you look at both sides of the intake where the are mounted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can we continue this later, friend is coming over later,maybe he can find the injectors
besides you need real long neck to see the test light when you cranking the engine
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Yes, post back when you ready, the service port where your connecting your fuel pressure gauge is on one side of the injector at the rail.

See there location in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Injector%20Aug%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
SORRY FOR DELAY
INJECTOR SHOWS PULSE. SPARK PLUG DRY BUT COATED WITH HEAVY BLACK STUFF
AFTER TRYING TO START
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Heavy black stuff as you call it is usually fuel and or oil. Are you sure your compression is okay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Truck don't use any oil so it must fuel. I never had a problem starting this truck hot or gold
one day i went to do small job 4-5miles away, running fine. Turned off . 10 minutes later it would not start cranks over but not even
a pop.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Well if you sure you have good spark at the spark plugs and injector pulse at the injector and proper fuel pressure the engine should start. If it fouling the spark plug and you suspect it fuel it could be a excessive fuel pressure issue. One thing that might be an issue is a leaking fuel pressure regulator, have you pulled the vacuum line off the regulator to see if there are any signs of fuel ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have replaced fuel pressure regulator and it's holding 40 pounds pressure and no leaks
just checked codes now we getting p1401 code
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The code P1401 set due to a failing DPFE (Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor) and if its shorting out internally it could cause a no start. Try disconnecting it when the no start problem is present. If it start with it unplugged then its shorted and needs to be replaced. See its location in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/DPFE%20Aug%2025.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Disconnected DPFE Sensor. NO GO
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay then you back to either a lack of spark or injector pulse or a fuel pressure concern or the spark plugs are fouling out. If you have everything like your saying the engine should start and run. Something is being overlooked here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Someone mention TP switch. Good that be a problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Its not likely if you have injector pulse and no TP fault codes setting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have to go to work.
I'll recheck everything tomorrow am and get back then
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Yea that what I would do, go back and recheck everything . Im here if need be tomorrow as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have double check everything Good spark, Fuel pressure 40 pounds, Tps 0.93v - 4.65v, Disconnected DEPF sensor
Truck will not start after running for minute or more ???????
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Well at this point Im out of ideas. As you know, you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors,proper fuel pressure and good compression and if you are sure you have all of these the engine should start and run. I can open the post back up for you if you would like, perhaps someone else may have something different to offer.