Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

2002 Escape VIN: 1FMCU03182KD68063 Airbag light is flashing

Customer Question

2002 Escape VIN: 1FMCU03182KD68063 Airbag light is flashing code 36 which I think has to do with driver's side airbag. Is this correct? Is it possible that this car does not have side airbags?
JA: Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looking at buying it used, have not tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

The AirBag Code #36 is pointing to a problem with the driver's side air bag circuit. This can be a faulty driver's side air bag, a problem in the wiring between the RCM and the driver's air bag or the RCM itself. More commonly here, it's the driver's side air bag module. Carefully inspect the electrical connectors and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If nothing stands out, there are some electrical tests that should be done to confirm where the problem lies. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please rate or accept!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.