K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I am working on a 1986 f 250 with a 460 that once started it

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am working on a 1986 f 250 with a 460 that once started it will not shut off . the rod for the ignition switch is working properly . tried to work switch manually same problem, you can unplug the ignition switch while running it continues to run. Power to ignition module stays on after starting ,if you only turn the key to on then back off the power to the module stops correctly.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, if you would, try disconnectiong the plug from the alternator and see if it shuts off. It's been known to happen that the alternator will back feed into the system and cause this. Let me know how things go.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry I have not replied i have not been back to try your suggestion but i will. the truck is about 20 mi. away so i don't get that way often. I did pull the alt belt off once before and had the same problem if that helps at all but i am willing to go back and try to unplug it if you think it is worth it
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

With it still plugged in it may do it, would be wort hthe time to check.