James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have a 97 7.3 fires like its going to run then just keeps

Customer Question

have a 97 7.3 fires like its going to run then just keeps cranking befor this it was starting to become hard to start had to give it a little gas petal so it would start then one morning never fired up then used starting fluid and ran on fluid but very rough then stall
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no and some days starts ok in am and starts fine during day and some days have to try a few times before it starts
JA: What is the model of your '97 Ford?
Customer: f250 hd i have replaced all the injector seals about 2500 miles ago
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and was going to order a hpop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you have a scan tool that can monitor live data like ICP pressure. If you unplug the ICP sensor will the vehicle start?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did not try that and no
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does it sound like a icp
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like you aren't getting enough oil pressure to fire the injectors. If the ICP sensor fails it won't allow the engine to start. If you unplug it will max out the pressure and isolate if the ICP is the issue or not. A scan tool that can monitor data will also show if you have a RPM signal as well. Trying to start but won't sounds like a high pressure oil concern.

Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.

Hello, if you have more questions please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.