EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT, 4.0l, it idles around 2k rpm and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT, 4.0l, it idles around 2k rpm and getting a 511 code, I replaced the IAC valve, didn't change a thing. What else could it be?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 207730 miles, 4.0L
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had it at a shop, they did a tune up, replacing wires, plugs and the distributor block because I was getting misfire codes. Now it isn't misfiring, but I have this 511 code, he looked for bad vacuum hoses, replaced a couple of suspects. Still runs high
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also had a OX sensor code, which he replaced
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. P0511 indicates that there is a problem with the IAC valve circuits. One of the wires to the IAC connector are likely broken or corroded. It is possible the pcm could be at fault, but likely a wiring concern. The IAC should have 6-13 ohms across its terminals. Your mechanic should check continuity and load test the wires from the pcm to the IAC valve.

I see you viewed my last response. DId you fix your car? do you need any assistance? Let me know so I can continue or close this question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked the AIC and it was working. There was nothing else that seemed out of place. After talking to my mechanic I decided to take it to a dealer. They claim the problem is in the ECM. $1600 to fix a fast idle. Thanks for the help.

Ok you are welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions and please rate your service experience. Thanks.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you and please rate my assistance using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.