virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

2010 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 3V Triton engine: The Service

Customer Question

2010 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 3V Triton engine: The Service Engine Soon light came on last night while driving home from dinner, stayed on all the way home, about a***** Went out this morning and started the car, still on. Went online an learned it could be something with the emission sensors, most typically air filter or gas cap/filler. Checked air filter, it was clean. Followed advice and cleaned the no cap gas filler valve (Easy Fuel system) by inserting the Ford provided funnel a number of times and squirting a little WD-40 along side of it. I also cleaned the gasket on the filler door, then disconnected the negative battery post for ~1 minute to clear the alarm, and reconnected the battery lead and restarted the engine. The Service Engine Soon light was not illuminated, started and restarted engine a couple of more times and still no Service Engine Soon light. Test drove the car for about 15-20 minutes around town and the light never came back on.
Can I assume that was the problem and it has been resolved?
Category: Ford
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So yes you can assume it was the problem or something similar. If the light went out and didn't come back on it means the computer no longer sees the fault so you are good to go.
If you are really curious what it was you can have the history codes scanned and it will tell you.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.