Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2009 Ford Focus sel. I am having trouble with my

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Ford Focus sel. I am having trouble with my throotle position sensor (TPS). When I drive, the check engine light will come on and the car will go into "limp" mode. I had the trouble code checked and the code is P2112,
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: I have replaced the TPS and still have the trouble I then replaced ther the entire throttle body and sensor and am still having the problem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 7 months ago.

This code is for the throttle actuator control which is mounted to the throttle body. Since you have replaced the throttle body, then we can rule out a stuck throttle body. Please inspect all the wiring and the connector to make sure there are no damaged wires because most likely there is an issue somewhere in the wiring. If the wiring is not the issue then it may be an issue with the PCM. Please let me know if you find any issues with the wiring.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could a defective accelerator pedal sensor contribute to this problem?

I am not seeing that as a possible cause. The code is indicating that the throttle plate is stuck closed, or at least at a lower angle than is being commanded. I would inspect the wiring and the connector very well first.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do

great. Please let me know what you find. be sure to look it over well.

the damaged wire could be hidden in a wire loom, under tape, etc.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked the wiring. I unplugged and re-plugged thre wire harness that comes from the engine to the center plug of the PCM. Now the car with start, but sounds and runs terrible. Sounds like a tractor.

before it wouldn't start, and now after messing with the plug, it will start but runs terrible?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I drove it to work last night and it ran okay. Sounded terrible but no dash lights came on. I parked it at work and during my lunch, I un=plugged the connector at the TPS and sprayed it with an electrical cleaner., let it air dryh, then re connected it. I tried to start it and it ran rough, like it is now. I left the car at work over night, and when I came back iI tried to start it and it sounds like it did last night. It will start, but is running extremely rough.So yes, it will start and runs extremely rough

so, did playing with the connector change anything at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. it doesn't do anything. It stays the same

you didn't see anything with any of the wiring and you looked it over well?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked it as well as I could.

wait, you keep saying throttle position sensor. this is an issue with the throttle actuator control.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Throttle actuator? The senor on the accelerator pedal?

no. the little motor on the throttle body. You have replace all that already though?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the entire throttle body assembly with a new one I bought at Ford

OK. I still strongly suspect an issue with the wiring somewhere. Did this just happen out of no where? or was it after work was done under the hood on something else?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, it came on over a period of time. It started around April 2016. The check engine light would come on and the car would go into limp mode. It was intermittent at first. As it became more regular, I changed the TPS (sensor) only. That didn't seem to work, so I replaced the entire throttle body assembly (End of July 2016). The problem persisted. Over the last couple of days its gotten worse.I have not had anyone under the hood to do anything (except me and what I've told you I've done to fix this problem).I did have some transmission work done January 2014 and was involved in a collision February 2014 with right side damage (between the passenger doors)

Ok. Since the throttle body assembly has been replaced, I suspect a shorted wire somewhere. If you have inspected it all over well and there are no wire issues then the next suspect would be the PCM. Unfortunately I don't have the diagnostic information at my disposal at the moment, so I would have to open this up to the other techs so one of them could walk you through the proper diagnostics before replacing the PCM.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took it to Midus last week to see if they could find the problem. They said they couldn't get the car to act up while it was plugged into they're computer, only when they took it off.

when they have their scan tool hooked up, it doesn't act up? only when the scan tool is disconnected?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

That makes me suspect a shorted wire even more now. Maybe a bad ground, or something to that effect.

wire issues can be very difficult to track down. Since there was an accident, look over the area of the damage. A wire may have gotten pinched or cut in the area and has had enough of a connection over the past year or so but is starting to short or lose connection.