A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Going to hitch a trailer to my new 2016 F-150. Heard that

Customer Question

Going to hitch a trailer to my new 2016 F-150. Heard that the +12 volts on the 7 pin connector sometimes does not work. Was out with a volt meter trying to find the +12 volts. found none on the pins it was supposed to be +12. Was using a wiring diagram I found on the web. Any advice?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?
Customer: This thing is complicated. Have not set up the trailer in the system yet. Is that what has to be done?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just going through the menu on the trailer towing on the screen. Got the manual out and trying to sort it out.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The fuse list in the manual does not list a fuse for this circuit. I have heard that Ford sometimes ships without a fuse for this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

Can you give me the VIN#?
Do you have the trailer brake controller mounted on the dash to the drivers side of the radio?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to run out to get the VIN. Yes it has the MAX Tow package and the brake controller is to the right of my right knee.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do you still need the vin?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please cancel this order. I will find out on my own. did not know it would cost $28. BIBI

The 2016 F150 uses the trailer brake controller to sense when the trailer is connected. With the trailer disconnected, you will not get 12 volts on the pin. Look in your owners manual starting on page 252 for trailer towing.