john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I have an 03 Ford Taurus with less than 100,000.It runs

Customer Question

I have an 03 Ford Taurus with less than 100,000.It runs great on the freeway and around town without the ac. The car stalls when at a stop sign or light after it gets up to running temp with a load on the motor, eg. ac or hard turn on auto steering pump. It doesn't happen when the car first starts and runs for 4-5 min. The sensor light came on at first, it was running rich. The sensor was replaced and the light stays off. Auto tech ran all diagnostics, replaced sensors, idle motor, ran internal checks on valves, compression, rebooted computer, got stumped and sent it to Ford. They ran all the diagnostics got stumped and called in a Ford specialist. He smoked the intake man and said there was a minute leak. They sent it back to the first tech.The part is scares but one was found from a rollover and replaced. Tech called me today and said the car has kicked his butt. He has calls out to a couple of older techs but doesn't promise anything. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 9 months ago.

have they cleaned or replaced the mass air flow sensor? Has the iac been changed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tech replaced the afs with three different manufactures including Ford

Has the iac been changed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
IAC?

(iac) idle air control on the throttle body

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no codes at all ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tech has reached out online to Ford techs and preformed all their recommendations over the last two weeks. The codes use to come on rich but after replacing the maf sensor they stopped
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When the car stalls now no codes

does it run good? is the check engine light on or flashing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It runs great, no lights on dash.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It only stalls when you come to a stop with the ac on. It's like you turn off the key.

does it shake n shutter ? doess it feel like a loss of fuel ? or a loss of ignition?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It doesn't happen when the ac is off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For another $26, I'll pass. I just thought I'd try online, it sounds like you are coming up with the same recommendations already tried.

its one of 2 things its a bad IAC or a bad ac compressor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wouldn't the AC compressor throw a sensor?

no it would not...the ac system is not connected to any warning lights...

Your description tells me there is a excessive load when the compressor kicks on. This means its ruled down to a idle air control valve not adjusting correct or a internal air compressor issue

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It happens when the power steering pump is strained too

with the ac on or off?

will it stall with the ac off ? if you put a ps strain on the system?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
With the AC off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The ps will stall the engine by it self

then its the iac...i would replace the IAc with a ford one..and inspect the throttle body closely for damage...a reman throttle bottle may be the best option

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK Will pass the recommendation along. Thanks

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

now dont forget if the defrost is on even if its on heat the ac operates to defog the windshield..so verify the defrost and ac is off

can you rate me 3 to 5 stars so i can close this question out and if you need any further help please let me know